Vacation Time Means Fun....and Potential Fraud
in Personal Banking
The summer travel season is here, and thieves are just as ready as you are, our cardholders. With our SHAZAM Falcon Fraud Manager, your card is monitored 24/7. However, there are a few things you can do to help protect your card and lower your risk.
- Contact Us Before You Leave. This is as much of a convenience for you as is it for safety. If we are unaware that you're traveling to Rome, for example, we may freeze your account when a purchase is made there. Share as many details with us as possible such as travel dates, cities, how much you might spend and how you can be reached.
- Clean Out Your Wallet. Carrying a lot of credit and debit cards on vacation only increases the likelihood that one of them will become lost or stolen. Take only what you need, and make sure your limits are high enough to cover all expenses.
- Make a Stop at the Copy Machine. Copy or scan the front and back of each card you plan to take. Be sure your account number and toll-free customer service number are legible (if you're traveling internationally, make sure you have appropriate phone numbers). Store the information somewhere other than where your card is, such as a hotel safe.
- Keep on Eye on Your Cards. Food servers and store clerks can steal card information easily with a skimming device, so don't let your cards out of sight. If that's not possible, consider paying with cash. And remember, it's perfectly OK to let your instincts guide you. If something seems fishy, go somewhere else.
- Monitor Your Account Frequently. Checking your account balance is a great way to combat fraud. With our real time card processing, you see the transactions within internet banking right when they are happening. You can also set up eAlerts through internet banking that will alert you based on the criteria you establish. If you notice something wrong, please notify us immediately at 877.782.2195.
Take care and have a safe, wonderful vacation!